Welcome to the 2017 Diversity Initiative
The Role of Personality in the Workplace
There is real benefit in understanding each unique individual and embrace what they have to offer and organization. Through this elevated awareness of the diversity around us, we can become better leaders, supervisors, HR managers, and better colleagues and ultimately improve the effectiveness of the organization. The key to influencing people is to understand them.
• Diversity is about differences. Each of us is different. Our differences include background, education, gender, ethnicity, nationality, generation, age, working and thinking styles, learning styles, personality, religious background, sexual orientation, ability and technical skills.
• Inclusiveness is about leveraging these differences to achieve better business results. It is about creating an environment where all employees feel, and are, valued, where they are able to bring their differences to work each day, and where they contribute their personal best in every encounter.
It takes looking inward to get an external view of things. Understanding ourselves helps us to work better with someone else. Once we can grasp what we value and how we work, we can then learn about others. When we understand our way of working, in addition to the people we are working with, it will create a higher level of thinking to achieve organizational goals.
Over the course of the year we’ll be sharing information in a number of ways to help you:
· Gain a deeper understanding of ourselves by grasping what we as individuals value and how we work as a way to help us work better with others
· Understand the nature of personality and how it is determined by both nature and nurture and what personality traits are relevant to organizational behavior
· Be able to describe the Big Five personality traits and their implications for understanding behavior in organizations
· Identify strengths and challenges of introverted and extroverted thinking and behavior
· Learn how organizations manage ability through selection, placement, and training
- Increase knowledge of evidence-based personality assessments